December 15, 2015 By Jake Nutting
A report from Venezuela has confirmed rumors from Monday that young forward Robert Hernandez has left the Rowdies and has inked a deal with Caracas FC in his home country. The Rowdies have yet to announce Hernandez’s departure. It’s unclear if the attacker was released by the club or if a transfer was worked out, though a release seems to be the more likely scenario.
Hernandez, 22, showed occasional flashes of promise in the Spring Season under former Head Coach Thomas Rongen but he, along with the rest of the Rowdies attack, wilted in the Fall Season. Hernandez fell even further down the depth chart after Stuart Campbell took charge in August, with his last appearance of the year coming in the 1-0 loss to Edmonton on September 13. Despite the promising start, Hernandez finished his brief stint in Tampa Bay with only one goal from 15 appearances.
Hernandez is the second forward to part ways with the Rowdies, following the release of Corey Hertzog shortly after the season ended. The club added former Ottawa Fury FC forward Tommy Heinemann to its group of forwards on Monday in hopes of boosting the attack for next year. Forwards Darwin Espinal, Brian Shriver and Maicons Santos are all still listed on the official roster page, though Espinal is the only one whose return has been confirmed by the Rowdies.
- Oduro Wants to Push for More in Second Year with Rowdies - March 6, 2019
- Tejada Excited to Start Professional Career with Rowdies - February 27, 2019
- The State of the 2019 Rowdies Roster - February 16, 2019
- Rowdies Adding John McCarthy, Andrew Tinari to 2019 Roster - January 20, 2019
- Rowdies Taking a “Strategic Approach” to Roster Rebuild - January 11, 2019
- Rowdies Focused on Nurturing Fanbase as Rays Era Begins - January 9, 2019
- Hristov Reflects on Six Years with the Rowdies - November 9, 2018
- Collins Aims to Change Perception of the Rowdies as he Plans for Future - October 24, 2018
- St. Pete City Council Approves Transfer of Al Lang Agreement - October 11, 2018
- Rowdies Postseason Hopes Come to an End in Home Finale - October 7, 2018