July 20, 2018 By Jake Nutting
by JAKE NUTTING
The Tampa Bay Rowdies have announced the release of defender Ivan Magalhães and keeper Matias Reynares following their July 8 altercation that resulted in the arrest of Magalhães.
The club quietly posted identical one-sentence press releases on its website on Friday, stating both players had been released from their contracts.
According to the criminal complaint filed in Pinellas County court, Magalhães was charged with aggravated battery for allegedly punching Reynares repeatedly at their apartment in St. Petersburg, causing “multiple lacerations and swelling on multiple areas of his face, left ear, and right arm.” No cause for the incident was listed and law enforcement indicated there was no sign Magalhães was intoxicated.
Magalhães’ charge was reduced to misdemeanor battery earlier this week. On Thursday his attorney appeared in court on his behalf to enter a plea of not guilty and request a jury trial. Arraignment for the case has been set for the morning of August 6.
With the loss of Reynares, the Rowdies are down to two keepers for the moment. Reynares, 19, had not appeared in a match for the club as he was the third option behind Cody Mizell and Akira Fitzgerald.
Magalhães, 24, had become one of the starting center backs under head coach Neill Collins following his appointment in May. The club announced today the signing of former FC Edmotnon center back and 2016 NASL Young Player of the Year Papé Diakite to reinforce the depleted back line. Right back Kyle Porter was also added to the roster last week, but the Rowdies are still thin on defense as left back Zac Portillos and right back Kyle Curinga recover from serious injuries. Diakite has been in training with the Rowdies this week and is expected to be available for selection for their match against Indy Eleven at Al Lang on Saturday night.
- The State of the 2019 Rowdies Roster - February 16, 2019
- Rowdies Adding John McCarthy, Andrew Tinari to 2019 Roster - January 20, 2019
- Rowdies Taking a “Strategic Approach” to Roster Rebuild - January 11, 2019
- Rowdies Focused on Nurturing Fanbase as Rays Era Begins - January 9, 2019
- Hristov Reflects on Six Years with the Rowdies - November 9, 2018
- Collins Aims to Change Perception of the Rowdies as he Plans for Future - October 24, 2018
- St. Pete City Council Approves Transfer of Al Lang Agreement - October 11, 2018
- Rowdies Postseason Hopes Come to an End in Home Finale - October 7, 2018
- Measuring Rowdies Expectations - September 23, 2018
- Third Straight Win has Rowdies in the Thick of Postseason Race - September 22, 2018